SharePoint Online Features
Microsoft SharePoint has been here for some time now, and today it’s also offered in an on-premise or cloud offerings. SharePoint is a key player in a very crowded space of business collaboration and content management with strong competitors like Alfresco, Google Drive and Drupal just to name a few. SharePoint Online Features is essential to understand the solution.
What this article is about:
To begin with, employees can access and share their documents using SharePoint Online.
- The documents are stored in the cloud and can be accessed from anywhere using mobile device or personal computer.
- Employees can share information using SharePoint Online, share documents, assign tasks and follow up their status, share news and knowledge.
- With SharePoint Online you can have a ‘site mailbox’ in which you can attach emails to each SharePoint site which for example can help capture all project’s emails in one common place.
- Employees can post and share information and pictures in a news feed, comment on other posts and follow posts of others.
- Sharing and collaborating is possible with other employees, partners or customers. Access can be granted for specific documents or to the complete site (project wall).
- For each site there can be a light public facing site (with customized URL) in which information about the project or activity can be shared publicly.
- SkyDrive Pro enables you to synchronize information on your computer or mobile device and also keep the files in SharePoint Online SkyDrive Pro space.
SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2013
SharePoint Online offers most of the capabilities of SharePoint 2013 (on premise version), features that are not included are :
- central administration
- full-trust code
- some advanced search features
SharePoint Online offers storage space of 10GB plus 0.5GB per user (excluding Kiosk or external users) which can be used for the team sites. Each user also have 7GB of SkyDrive Pro space. Maximum site collection size is 100GB and maximum file size is 250MB.
In SharePoint Online small business plan there can be a single site collection, the Midmarket plan support up to 20 sites collections and Enterprise plan supports up to 3000 sites. Additional SharePoint Online storage can be purchased ($0.2 per GB/month).
SharePoint administration panel is different from the on premise SharePoint farm administrator one as in SharePoint Online it is Microsoft that manages the farm itself. You should note that Internet Explorer 6 and 7 are not supported in SharePoint Online.
The recycle bin only retains deleted items for 30 days (administrators have additional 30 days), thus you can restore deleted list, library, list item, site, document or web part page. Microsoft backups your SharePoint Online data and keep it for two weeks.
CloudAlly offers a must have complementary service for SharePoint Online, an automated backup service that provides unlimited archive retention and the ability to restore items from any point back in time (including items that deleted from the recycle bin).